The paradox of emotion

Today and yesterday I woke up feeling sad. Yet that makes me extremely happy to be able to admit that. How is this so?

Emotions, like many things, are very complicated. Sadness in itself is not a positive emotion. Many people who feel sadness will try to fight this feeling. When sadness turns into depression, many doctors will prescribe antidepressants to numb this feeling,

As someone who was prescribed antidepressants for many years, I know the struggle of being in a sad situation and not being able to feel anything beyond mild discontentment. The struggle of not being able to cry at a romantic comedy was a tipping point for the discontinuation of these prescription medications. 

Of course, many people honestly need this medication to function. I'm not debunking that fact whatsoever. But in my case, the inability to feel extreme lows was not enough to persuade me to continue taking medication that also numbed my extreme highs as well.

I know that the sadness I'm feeling today and yesterday is not based on any happenings in my life at this point. Just the opposite, things are going excellent right now. I'm fully aware that the sadness I'm experiencing is stemming from a neurological and hormonal chemical imbalance. 

All the same, today I woke up and felt sad. But it felt nice just to be able to feel. So for that, I'm happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A few attempts at mindfulness

Insomnia...